Monday, February 16, 2009

Bluster and Beaches

Looking south, towards Scheveningen - The Hague's beach area. If the photo is clicked to enlarge, it should be possible to see shapes of the city through the misty day

This gull only had one leg. At first we thought it had folded up the other, but then we watched it take off and there simply wasn't another leg to be seen!

Can you tell it's windy? The sand was looking very cool with the wind whipping it along just above ground level Looking north toward Katwijk and Nordwijk

Windy, and cold!

Here's Bill, bracing himself against the wind gusting at his back. We were glad to see the sea, but also glad to get inside!

Here's the photos from yesterday's walk on the beach with Bill. There were tons of people out, walking their dogs or just themselves on the beach. When we went into the little restaurant, just up on a dune next to the beach, there were lots of people there too! We had a bowl of soup and then freed up our table so someone else could enjoy it. About a 1/2 hour later, it started to rain and didn't stop all night long, so we timed our excursion well.

At the moment, it's gray, but the clouds are high and I don't think it's going to rain...but I've been wrong about that before! Still, I am headed down to The Hague this afternoon and might take in a movie after running a few errands.

Mike's text to me last night (after I wrote to him telling him his beloved Gonzaga University had won their basketball game on Saturday) said they were, "Just back from the cultural dancing and it was so awesome! Drums and singing. Powerful." I hope he got some photos and I can share them here on his return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures of the beach. I lived in the Europa Hotel for a month, before we found a house to rent in Voorburg.

I have been especially nostalgic for The Netherlands the last several days. There has been several of us alumni to connect on Facebook. It has become rather addicting to catch up with so many former students of the American School ( back then we were IHS )

Monica and Mike said...

Hi Patsy, glad you liked the photos, I really should get to the beach more often, it's only 5km from our house! Facebook is great for just that sort of thing, I'm sure you are sharing some terrific memories!