Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Biking Here, Biking There

I suppose since I said I was going to The Hague yesterday and ended up having a 3 hour nap instead, it only made sense that I should bike there twice today. I really did have every intention of going yesterday, but figured I'd have plenty of time once I'd caught a little cat nap. Anyone who has ever watched cats nap know there's nothing little about it - cats are professional nappers. Chloe and Elliot (but mostly Chloe) think when I lay down on the sofa that sleeping the entire afternoon is perfectly normal and so she hops up and keeps me company. I don't know what I'd do without such a good role model...wait a minute, yes I do, I'd get up and go to The Hague like I'd planned!!!

So yesterday was a bust but as it rained all day, I wasn't too upset that I stayed home and cozy - hey, I probably saved money too! So, today dawned, rainy of course, and since it's a Maroz day, I had no choice but to get on the bike and head down. Strictly speaking, his stable is not all the way in The Hague, but it's 3/4 of the way there, so I count it. We went for a nice long walk in the dunes (the rain stopped to allow this) to give him a break from the stable yard, and then I cycled home again.

A quick clean up and then I was off to meet some former work colleagues for dinner in Scheveningen. Since the quickest way there on a bike is to follow the dune path down, especially when the wind is not in your face, that's what I did. It's a great path since there are no motorized vehicles on it, and you only see the dunes, no sign of modern life - apart from the very nice bricked bike path the whole way there. There is also the visual appeal of an undulating landscape, something you miss anywhere else for miles around. I've mentioned before that I have a heavy bike, so this ride warmed me up and gave me a good appetite for dinner.

It was a lovely evening, we hadn't caught up properly since before Thanksgiving so we were overdue. I came home a different way, the dune path isn't lit at night and it quite remote so I prefer to go that way when there's a full moon and Mike is with me. I've been home now about 1/2 hour, so that's why this posting is arriving so late.

Mike and crew finished working on the classroom foundations this morning, made their last visit to the orphanage and tomorrow will set out on safari, to include: Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara National Park, the Snake Park (?), and Maasai Boma. There will also be time in Arusha at the local market. Sounds like a fantastic three days, although his text to me this morning said they were having "torrential rain". So much for me thinking I'd get some sympathy from him that it rained here for the past two days!

No comments: