Wednesday, February 18, 2009

D.I.Y.

In an apartment the size of ours, there's a limit to how much we can put in it, or do to it. Today I had the excuse to add something new. Before Mike left, he asked if I could round up a car and go to IKEA and get him a small table (pre-selected by him) that he could use for paper grading. IKEA is very popular here, and is one of the large employers of ASH parents. The IKEA Concept Centre in Delft is special too as it frequently has items that you don't find at the regular stores. The Concept Centre is a, if not the, major corporate headquarters for the company and has a training college, hotel, and sundry other functions attached to it. It's pretty amazing.

So, while Mike's table is a regular catalogue item, it's still an interesting outing to spend an hour or so strolling through the merchandise. I found the car necessary (I can manage quite a lot on my bike, but after looking online at the packaging measurements and weight, I decided it would be much safer to just beg a ride from someone!), and the driver to go with. Aaron (of Kim and Aaron in Vienna at Christmas) is also spouse-less this week as Kim accompanied Mike as a chaperone on the trip to Tanzania.

We set off on the morning - not quite sunny, but cloud free - and arrived soon after opening to collect our various needs. I managed to stick to the list, only deviating when I saw toilet brushes and remembered we needed a new one, but still tucked away a few ideas for later. There was a nice area rug for a good price that might come in handy somewhere, and some other bits and pieces I have to think about. I'm working on my impulse buying!

We later enjoyed a nice lunch at Me Gusta, an Italian-deli sort of eatery here in Wassenaar. It's usually packed at lunchtime so we were happy to get a table and enjoyed our meal while getting caught up on one another's week alone at home. Now I'm home and getting ready to bust into the packaging and erect the new table. It will be enough construction to satisfy some obscure need in me to do things with a hammer and screwdriver every once in awhile and result in a useful piece of furniture.

Tonight will be quiet, some reading and watching the semi-finals of my BBC show "Masterchef" and keeping company with the cats. Mike is off on safari and I haven't had an update today, so I don't have any news on that front.

No comments: