Friday, November 7, 2008

The first blog of the rest of my life

Hi there.
Well this is a new thing for me, so we'll see how it goes. I've been inspired by my former high school English teacher, Marianne Love, who has been blogging for several years. I always enjoy reading her posts because they have a way of taking me back to Sandpoint (Idaho) and reminding me what a unique place it is. I will try to do justice to Marianne's teachings all those years ago (she taught me Grade 10 English in 1984-85).

It's a Friday evening and the plans Mike and I had have been postponed until tomorrow night. These involved riding our bicycles down to The Hague, about a 40 minute ride, to meet up with friends to toast the U.S. President-elect. However, since only one friend was going to be able to make it, we decided to wait until our toast held a little more weight. The place we were (and hopefully still will) to meet is called de Paas (www.depaas.nl) and is a great little beer café selling over 400 brands of beer. I don't think the plan involves toasting with each beer...

Last night and today were parent-teacher conferences for Mike at school (www.ash.nl), so he was done at noon today. He and a buddy headed to The Hague for a separate café trip while I was out riding a horse (more on that presently). Mike's comments about last night's 30 or so parents who came in were positive; all bar one set came in to say how pleased they were with their child's progress in Economics - what Mike happens to be teaching this year. I don't know about this morning's group, but one assumes they thought him equally as wonderful.

As I wrote above, I was out riding at the time and very pleased that it was neither raining, nor too cold, nor a howling gale. Instead, Maroz (the horse) and I enjoyed ourselves in November (read: weak) sunshine, galloping around the dunes separating his stable from the North Sea coast. A 25 minute bike ride home and now I'm relaxing in front of the computer.

Just so you know, bike riding is a big part of our lives here as we don't own a car. We made that decision when we first moved here and have rarely regretted it. We did own a car for about 6 months, but found the excessive traffic and high (Dad tells me the price of gasoline is higher here than anywhere in Europe, though I don't know his source on this, it sounds plausible) costs for gasoline, insurance, road tax, etc., etc. made the decision to sell an easy one. The few times we've really needed a car, we rent one for a day or a week and that seems to work just fine. Of course, the next time I'm out and it's a torrential downpour and my rainsuit springs a leak, I won't be singing the praises of biking, but for now I'll act all noble and environmentally in charge of my own life.

I think this is as good a start as any for a blog, so I'll leave it at that for today.
Tot ziens!

1 comment:

MLove said...

Welcome to the blog world, Monica. It grows into a passion, and your readers usually appreciate what you have to say . . . usually.

Marianne